Saturday 12 April 2008

A Little Mystery





I have grown up with a very unusal picture on the wall of my parents' house. I loved it, because if was the only thing that was not boring to look at, and I always wondered why it didn't end up in the attic or garage, because it was so much not the sort of piece my parents would have chosen themselves. I know a little about its history: It belonged to my maternal great-grandfather, who travelled a lot (very unusual at the time) in the East during the mid and late 19th century. The centre panel (15 x 24 cm) is painted, and the frame (31 x 41 cm) has the most beautiful wood and ivory inlay (and not a single tiny piece missing).


I have no idea where exactly my great-grandfather got it, and I also do not know how it ended up with my mother. My grandparents lived in Eastern Germany and my mother had moved to West Germany. It was not permitted at the time to take something like this panel out of East Germany. But even more intrigueing is the inscription. I presume it's in Arabic, but what does it mean? Can anybody help to solve the mystery.


I also have another unusual item that belonged to my great-grandfather. My mother wanted to throw it away because she never liked it. I grabbed it and it has been loved and treasured for nearly 20 years now in my house. Again, I know hardly anything about it. I have been told that it is a stand for a koran. The carving and beadwork is stunning. Again, if anybody can shed any light on what exactly this is, what the inscription means, or where it may have originally come from, please, let me know.


Lorchen

6 comments:

Mary Ann Littlejohn said...

I can tell you where the inlaid piece you showed probably originated. It looks very much like the inlay wood work (believe it's called intaglio)done in Syria. I can't read the calligraphy but will send your photo to a friend to translate. It looks like Arabic, but could be Farsi(Iranian) Is the picture painted or a print? The picture portion might possibly be Persian. A lot of Iranian goods are traded in Syria as the pilgrims travel to Mecca for the pilgrimage Hajj.

The wood bookstand looks like it may have similar origin.

Mary Ann Littlejohn said...

On the bookstand the open work that holds the book is similar to the privacy screens/shutters for windows known as "mishrabiyah". All those little wood components usually aren't blued together, rather just loosely fit. They can expand and retract with changes in humidity. They would make great quilting designs.

Mary Ann Littlejohn said...

That's "glued" together. sorry!

ann said...

I think you are on the right track. I don't have any more to add except it is beautiful.

ENJOY!

ann

Unknown said...

There is a surprise for you on my blog - 6 Aug 08 entry...

Take Care,

Mary Ann Littlejohn said...

I'm not finding an August 5 entry on your blog. Bogger was acting up yesterday. Did it eat it?