Friday 2 November 2007

Journal Quilt, Houston 2007




Unfortunately I was not able to travel with my Journal Quilt. Because of my job I depend on UK school holidays. But I've have been so very lucky to have a friend like Carolyn who sent me pictures when she should have been relaxing after a long day at the show.




My Journal Quilt is called 'Escaped'. I have one foot in the traditional quilt scene and the other one in the art quilt one. I'm very happy with this situation because both areas are interesting, entertaining, and often support and enliven each other. So, I used all sorts of small bits of fabric that I had hand-marbled and constructed a wall of nine patches. One nine patch was left over, and someone got embellished, painted, and added. I'm sure it's on its way to join the art world. :)




4 comments:

Nikki said...

I love your artsy take on traditional quilting. It is also great to see the piece in context at the Houston show. I have never been to a major show, so it is great to get a glimpse.

I would love to see your work on your blog. You don't have to put a lot of time on each entry--just a quick picture is always fun.

Carole said...

What nice use of colors. I see myself as a traditional quilter first and am drawn to this one. Well done and thank you for sharing the show. I can only imagine.
Carole

Unknown said...

Lorchen - this looks wonderful. Congratulations on gaining entry to a very prestigious show!

Gail (Chattanooga, TN)

Anonymous said...

I love your quilt, especially once I saw the closeup of the marbled fabrics.
My journal quilt (the nine patch of my father's photo) is pictured in the photo, and I have included a link to your blog on my blog:
http://raolsonfiberarts.blogspot.com/ In case you want to see it.